- Sidewalk or outdoor blacktop
- Sidewalk chalk
- Clock or watch
- Select an outdoor paved surface away from any shade.
- Mark this spot by outlining the person's feet with the sidewalk chalk.
- On the sidewalk, outline the person's entire shadow and note the time.
- Every hour, have the person place his/her feet in the same place as outlined earlier in the day. Trace around the shadow and again note the time. For younger children, it is recommended to do each shadow drawing on the hour, such as 8:00 a.m., 9:00 a.m. and so on.
- Toward the end of the day, look at the shadow tracings and discuss how the shadows moved in relation to the sun.
- When was the shadow the longest? The shortest? Is this a way to tell time?